Meet Khary Durgans, a 22-year-old rapper from Providence (RI) who’s carving a respectable niche in hip-hop. His debut project, Love & Anchors, wasreleased under French label Cosmonostro and was a remarkably mature debut. Khary’s most recent work, Swim Team, is vibrantly unique and clearly showcases the young emcee’s talent and potential. Stay tuned for big things from Khary in 2015 as our gut is telling us he’s about to BLOW up.
Jadamix reached out for a short Q&A. Peep it below…
1) Give us 3 words to describe Khary Durgans.
Black, Pirate, Weirdo.
2) Give us 3 words to describe Khary Durgans’ music.
Honest, Sarcastic, Dope.
3) Your latest Swim Team EP has been hugely successful. What’s the metaphorical significance behind the “Swim Team” theme?
For the project, I worked with many people on this project so Swim Team represent’s everything being a community effort and stamping the movement I’m slowly creating. For the song, It’s about seeking value in yourself. There is a thin line between being humble and being a push over so sometimes you just gotta yell “BITCH I’M THE CAPTAIN OF THE SWIM TEAM!”.
4) Who / what is your inspiration for making music?
The pursuit of happiness and being a better person to those around me.
5) What’s a typical day like with Khary Durgans?
Wake up, work first job, leave, work second job, leave, and work an event (third job). I try to make music in the midst of that.
6) What’s your vice?
The pursuit of women; I’m bad at it though.
7) If you could have any superpower… what would it be?
Nah, I’m good.
8) Best show you’ve ever played?
I just recently watched Pink Floyd’s “Live in Pompeii” DVD; I haven’t done shit yet.
9) If you had 24 hours to live… what would you do?
Every immediate family member would get an hour then I’d have like 10-15 hours to find bae.
10) What’s upcoming for Khary Durgans in 2015?
Expect a bunch of videos and a dope song called Bobby Florida.